September 7, 2014

So we went to Dubai... Part 1

Heeeeeeeeeey errbawdy!!!

*Note* I was supposed to have posted this a week and a half ago, so just play along*


So things have been a little more quiet than normal on this blog, because I've been traveling for about a week and a half. First of all, Cakes and I finally went on our honeymoon!!! Woot wooooooooooooooooot!!! If you follow me on Instagram, you would have seen our little montage of pictures posted last week. If you're not, then you can enjoy the pictures here :)

We flew Qatar Airways, largely due to convenience and while their Nigerian staff almost messed us up before we left, they made up for it and our travels back and forth were smooth (minus a delayed suitcase - which meant I had to wear the same sandals for like 3 days). I'll put up a review of Qatar Airways a little later, but for now Imma just focus on our trip.




Qatar Airways, I enjoyed your food!!! Really did. 

NOTE 1: Being the overzealous goody-two-shoes that I am, I Googled how to dress in Dubai, since it IS a Middle Eastern country. Based on what I read, I told Cakes that we always had to be covered from shoulders to knees, so he couldn't bring shorts and I could carry mostly longer outfits. Imagine my shock when I got there and other people were wearing booty shorts and spaghetti tank tops!!! Cakes just rolled his eyes at me cos I made him pack his Nigerian outfits. All this in extreme heat! We think Nigeria is hot at 27C  (80F), and we were roasting in 44C (111F) in Dubai. It was sha the wrong time to visit, cos they're right in the middle of summer. If you want to go, October to January is best.

NOTE 2: Oh, and I also read that any form of PDA (public display of affection) between people of the opposite sex could get you arrested, so I didn't allow Cakes to hold my hand for more than a second at the time. He couldn't even dare kiss me outside our hotel.
Holding hands and kissing BEFORE we can get busted!

berry dakara's picture in doha airport
Oversized teddy in Doha airport


 We got to Dubai veeeery early on a Saturday morning. We were so early that there wasn't a room available in our hotel, and Cakes had to shower in their gym bathroom. I was too exhausted to shower and slept off on a chair outside their gym. While I slept, Cakes had breakfast and waited for a room to be prepared for us. We were actually very lucky, because check-in time is supposed to be 3pm, and we arrived there at 6:30am! But by 9am, we were in our room and passed out from the traveling stress. When we finally woke up, I showered and we set about heading to Abu Dhabi to visit our family friends. We had a nice time chilling with them and their beautiful 3 daughters... Cakes and I definitely want to have a girl for our first child, whenever that time comes :D
Dirhams for all our taxi rides!
After our time in Abu Dhabi, we headed back to Dubai. Our taxi driver didn't speak English well, and had a hard time understanding where our hotel was, so we opted to go to Dubai mall so we could see the famous Dubai fountains that are set to music (much like the one in Vegas, which I think is better). MEHN!!!! If my feet didn't ache too much, I could live in that mall. Not necessarily for shopping, but people watching and relaxation. We decided to visit the aquarium and aquatic zoo in the mall.





 Hehe Cakes said the thought that kept coming to mind was the amount of meat (fish) that's being "wasted." Don't mind him. The animals were fun to see and it's just amazing how many different types of fish there are!



I've decided his name is Nelson

Nooooo, don't eat meeeeeee




Yeah, this little guy made Cakes hungry





I really like jellyfish



Eels just make me think of Sushi. I think a sushi date with Blondissimo is in order.

This crocodile was MASSIVE!!!!

Teeth of life!!!

Now this one made ME hungry

?
Big croc: Hey girl, I'm feeling you. Can I talk to you?
Small croc: Oh gawsh, not again. BYE!
Me: See film!


Anyways, by the time we were done with the aquarium, our original intention to see the Dubai fountains fell flat. We arrived at the fountains (which was on the other side of the mall) at 11:05pm, and the last show had literally just finished! We just determined to go on the night before we left Dubai and that was that. Part 2 (and maybe 3) will come later in the week.
First good sighting of the Burj Khalifa

Have a pretty day everyone!

Follow on Bloglovin

30 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha @ not holding hands for more than a sec. I visited in february with my partner and we nearly got in trouble for me leaning against him while we waited for the Metro. A police guy on the other end of the glass started gesturing with his hands and venturing towards us. See fear! From vacation I thot I might land in jail :D. Welcome back jare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaaa? Didn't anybody tell you? I heard of a couple that got jailed for a month because they kissed. Sorry o, I don't know my significant other until we're inside our hotel room.

      Delete
  2. Wow seems like y'all had a great time. Lmao @ the meat that was being wasted kikikikikiki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol @the dress code even the Saudi Princesses and royal wives do not cover up and wear western clothes most of the time and they are supposed to be the custodians of the culture. The whole PDA thing is why Dubai for me and the entire UAE in general is a girlfriends or sisters weekend break or week break trip I am naturally inclined to hold hands, kiss etc that if I go with Le boo you people may see me on an episode of "banged up abroad - Dubai PDA edition" hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

      Cakes and I hold hands all the time too but I was so paranoid that any time he came near me, I was like "DUDE!" I was so paranoid that I made him carry our marriage certificate with us, just in case some overzealous person came to ask anything.

      Delete
    2. Lol! You will not let me faint from laffing. It couldn't have been that bad naa.

      Delete
    3. Ha, I'm not playing o, before they cut off my hand for holding my husband

      Delete
  4. Looks like you guys had a pretty fun trip, looking forward to part 2 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww bless......you obviously dragged Cakes into your 'Dubai Law Fear' lol. Waiting for part 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time we passed a guy in shorts, Cakes would shoot daggers at me through his eyes!!!!!!! I felt so bad for him enh

      Delete
  6. Finally! Looks like you had fun.

    ebunoluwole.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did :)

      I can't wait for you to travel. Praying for opportunities for you :)

      Delete
  7. Awww my dear and I will love a vacation where we hold hands all the time. So that's it Dubai is not on our list any more. Will just go with the ladies. Glad you guys had fun. www.secretlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, then the Middle East isn't for a romantic getaway for you. A girls trip is definitely doable.

      Delete
  8. Kai....eez like it is only me that hasn't visited this beautiful country o! Glad you had a good trip. Lol @ packing wrong clothes...that must have sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Looks like you had an amazing time!
    Sorry about your luggage arriving late though, that has happened to me once and it was very unpleasant.
    Yeeee...see food! I'd always heard good things about Qatar...just for that food, they have passed :)
    Congrats on your wedding (sorry I'm late). May God bless your union and may He surpass your expectations!

    theofficialDATFUNKYFRO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!

      We had a very nice time, apart from the missing luggage. Qatar is definitely a nice airline, based on our experience.

      Delete
  10. Hehe I'm sure he rubbed it in your face anytime someone in booty shorts passed by. Meat wasting lol
    http://divadiari.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for me, I wasn't interested in booty shorts. BUT now, when I saw mini skirts and dresses!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  11. Waiting for part 2. Glad you had fun!

    Yes! Finally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww looked like fun times were had... that was a full itinerary for 1st day mehn, kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I didn't want to miss anything. Hopefully on future vacays, I can stay longer and have a couple of days to just lie in and rest

      Delete
  13. Funny how everyone has a different perspective of Dubai. Worked out there for 5 years and the level of debauchery is ridiculous. The more upscale you go, the less policing there is. Thats really the catch. My husband on the other hand will not go to Dubai even on a free ticket because he is paranoid.

    glad you had a fun time though, but next time you and cakes just enter a mass store and get him so vacation shorts abeg. And take note the middle east is generally a no go zone from July to October, unless you can tolerate extreme heat of 120f- every wondered why mcdonalds and burgee king deliver in these zones?.thats why.

    Glad u had fun though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's crazy. Lol @ your husband refusing to go.

      LOOOOOOOOOOL! I honestly didn't do my research about weather - although on the flip side, tickets might be cheaper during summer? I don't know. Actually, no. If we had waited till October, we would have paid almost $500 less for the ticket.

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely pictures. It's a very pretty blog :)
    Dubai is truly a perfect holiday destination.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol! To think that im just being diverted to this post from My Two Dream Summer Destinations Post. I'm reading and thinking Haba! If Dubai's ish was that serious, people won't make it a favourite honeymoon and travel destination na. Well, i've been to Dubai thrice and my shorts are a priority always. My opinion is that the laws are mainly for locals not tourists. I can see you got your prayers to have a girl as your first child! Right from your lips to God's ears...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you about this post! Let's all learn and share our worlds.