August 11, 2014

Proverbs Blog-Along: Day 19

Yup yup, moving right along to Chapter 19!

These are the verses I liked the most from this chapter...
Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good;
haste makes mistakes.
To me, this speaks about the value of planning. Yes, you might have a brilliant idea and want to run with it immediately, but you need to take a chill pill and explore how best to go about your idea before making any rash decisions. This can be applied to business ventures, wedding planning, your occupation, finances, etc.

People ruin their lives by their own foolishness
and then are angry at the lord.
Lol, imagine that God has been telling you to stay away from a particular boyfriend or girlfriend, but noooooooooo, you insist that he/she is the one. The next thing, they cheat on you and break your heart, and you go and cry to God asking why He allowed such hurt to touch you. Lol, wouldn't it be funny, if God said, "Haha, you're a joker sha."

Many seek favors from a ruler;
everyone is the friend of a person who gives gifts!
I think this verse is very true. People in power, or people who are rich and/or very generous tend to have a lot of friends and "friends."

To acquire wisdom is to love yourself;
people who cherish understanding will prosper.
Do you love yourself? Yes? Are you doing what you can to acquire wisdom, develop yourself professionally, spiritually, relationally, financially, etc-ally? No? Ooops, you don't love yourself.

11 Sensible people control their temper;
they earn respect by overlooking wrongs.
Dear Lord, I thank you for the progress made in my life, and I pray for your grace to get even better. Especially when I'm driving. Please forgive me for my terrible display this morning. Amen.

14 Fathers can give their sons an inheritance of houses and wealth,
but only the lord can give an understanding wife.

Wow! Another chapter that mentions the value of a wife... an understanding wife, that is. :)
17 If you help the poor, you are lending to the lord
and he will repay you!

I've mentioned a loooooong time ago how I feel about giving, especially to the poor, especially in Nigeria. There are beggars on pretty much every road, and while I choose to give to only disabled people or children, sometimes I wonder who I think I am to decide who is "worthy" or not of my giving. Of course, there are those who are only out to get money for drugs or alcohol, but is it my place to judge? At the end of the day, I'm obeying God's word and giving to those who are less fortunate, right?

23 Fear of the lord leads to life,
bringing security and protection from harm.
Amen.

Alrighty ladies and gentlemen, any verses that speak to you that I might have missed? Or would you like to contribute to my discussions?


Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Verse 6 speaks to me, another way to look at that verse is this: there are people who do not have material wealth and so they are not able to give tangible gifts, such people could be very good listeners, or very wise as in they always have the best advice, or they are just so funny they brighten up your day. This could also be considered as giving gifts though not of the tangible nature.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you about this post! Let's all learn and share our worlds.